Choose your sunscreen wisely.
Summer in Hong Kong varies from beautiful sunny days with a light breeze, to blazing hot and humid weather mixed in with a few typhoons and showers or heavy whole day thunderstorms. What that means for our beauty routine is that sunscreen is a must if you don’t want to get sun spots or premature wrinkles. A less vain reason for using sunscreen is of course to lessen the risk of skin cancer that harmful UVA/UVB rays can cause to our skin.
With the myrid of sunscreens in the market containing potentially hazardous chemicals that can penetrate the skin, or even accelerate formation of malignant cells, it is wise to read the labels carefully before including them into your beauty routine.
Tips for choosing safe SPF that gives a long-lasting broad-spectrum protection from the Environmental Working Group (EWG)
- Avoid sunscreen containing the hormone-disrupting chemical oxybenzone, which penetrates the skin and enters the bloodstream
- Avoid sunscreen containing Vitamin A, or its derivatives retinol or retinyl palmitate when applied to the skin in the presence of sunlight, may speed the development of skin tumors
- Choose sunscreen that uses zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as they are stable compounds that provide broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection, which current available studies consistently show very little or zero penetration into the skin
Sunscreens we like that do not contain the above potentially harmful ingredients:
- Dermalogica Pure Light SPF 30, HK$728 for 50ml
Medium weight moisturizer that brightens skin and uses non-chemical natural sunscreens titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to protect skin against UVA/UVB rays. Contains antioxidant and botanical extracts to prevent further pigmentation. Where to buy? Dermalogica counter, LCX, L3, Ocean Terminal, Tel: 3102 3668
- Bulgari UV Gem Cellular Shield High Protection SPF 50 UVB PA +++ HK$800 for 30ml
Offers high UVA/UVB protection with cell protecting anti-oxidant thioneine-EC complex to prevent wrinkles, dark spots and photo-aging. Where to buy? Bulgari Skincare Counter at Lane Crawford, Pacific Place. Tel: 3583 1187
- Shu Uemura UV Armour SPF 50 PA ++, HK$290 for 40ml
Uses Mexoryl SX & XL UVA filter to provide a shield against UVA and UVB rays. Contains deepsea water to fortify skin barrier, antioxidant Lotus flower extract and Mint extract to sooth skin. We love the ultra glide texture that goes on very lightly and really does glide onto the skin leaving no stickiness. It smells great too! Where to buy? Lane Crawford, IFC Mall, Central. Tel: 3101 3063