Abercrombie & Fitch were kind enough to let us inside their new Pedder Building store today for an hour to have a look around (and buy some clothes) before the official public opening on Saturday.
They didn’t let us take any photos, but if you’ve been to any of the Abercrombie & Fitch shops in the world you know what to expect – dark walnut brown walls, spotlights, loud dance music and super clean, well taken care of retail space.
You can enter through the huge vault-like doors on Pedder Street; where all the Hot Guys are right now for photo shoots, and there will also be the back entrance on Theatre Lane right where the Swatch store is – but that entrance probably won’t be open this weekend.
Right as you walk in you know; this is no retrofit of the old Shanghai Tang store! They took that space and the 2 floors above and transformed it into a mansion with huge staircases, chandeliers, and for our preview: Hot Guys dancing all along the stairs and lots of sales staff to help us through the enormous space:
- The main floor and the basement are for men, and the top floors are for women and kids.
- Cash registers are on the basement near the changing rooms and on the 2nd floor.
- No, the sales staff are not topless – they are all local HK guys and gals dressed in a rotation of A&F outfits.
- The fitting rooms were spacious and very nice though we don’t think there are nearly enough of them.
- They are definitely launching this as a flagship store – with 850 staff trained and ready to go – with a revolving number on the floor at any given time.
It’s all the classic Abercrombie & Fitch clothes: jeans, t-shirts, shorts, dresses and causal wear but we have to hand it to them for making this as loud and good-looking as possible – a launch that has no doubt even made Apple blush.
With all the stairs we walked up and down, we know how those Hot Guys got their abs!
Also of note – the Hot Guys are leaving on Sunday so if you want a photo with them you better hurry up. We also learned a bunch of them will be in Tsim Sha Tsui on the weekend getting people to come over to Hong Kong side.
They are expecting a mile long line up that will wrap around Pedder Lane out past The Gap and most likely all the way to H&M at least so get there early if you want to check it out before melting in the heat.
This video is from the New York store, so it’s not the same but you get the idea: