It’s finally here – Broadway dance classic West Side Story is now playing in Hong Kong until 18 June 2017 for a strictly limited season with no further extension. Considered the ultimate dance musical since its first staging in 1957, the musical has been produced three times on Broadway, twice in London’s West End and enjoyed numerous US, UK and international sold-out tours over the last 60 years.
In case you’re not familiar with the story, the musical tells the tale of a love between two young people – Tony and Maria – whose happiness is destroyed by the hate of two enemy camps in New York City’s urban jungle, the jets and the Sharks. This Romeo and Juliet-inspired story adapted from playwright and screenwriter Arthur Laurents’s book features choreography by the legendary Jerome Robbins, score by Leonard Bernstein and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.
The Hong Kong version is an award-winning staging by director and choreographer Joey McKneely is the only production in the world to currently feature Jerome Robbins’ original choreography with many of the cast coming straight from Broadway. Musical supervisor is the renowned conductor Donald Chan, who studied under Leonard Bernstein himself, bringing classic songs such as Maria, Tonight, Somewhere, America and I Feel Pretty.
Where to Buy Tickets:
- Ticket Prices: Standard Ticket Prices: $1,195 (Broadway Package), $995 (VIP), $795 (A Reserve), $595 (B Reserve), $445 (C Reserve)
- Performance Dates: from 18 May to 18 June 2017
- Performance Time: 7.45pm Tue- Fri, 2pm and 7.45pm Sat, 1pm and 6pm Sunday
- Venue: Lyric Theatre, Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
- Where to buy tickets: HK Ticketing hotline: 31 288 288, hkticketing.com
Ticket prices are exclusive of HK Ticketing service charge and courier fees