We suss out the best in dry shampoos. You’re probably aware that washing your hair everyday does more bad than good. This strips your hair of its natural oils, dries it out and causes breakage. Sure sounds like a tall order given our humidity levels especially during summer. But hear us out. We’ve found our lifesaver in dry shampoos.
Available mainly in powder or aerosol spray forms, a dry shampoo works by absorbing excess sebum on hair strands, especially the roots or scalp, where it tends to get greasy at the end of the day. It masks stale odours so your hair looks and smells clean in an instant. One big plus is it adds texture, volume and body to dull, lifeless hair, effectively doubling as a styling product.
A dry shampoo is not only convenient for in-between washes but it’s also great when you’re strapped for time yet need a little help to freshen up your locks (on long flights, after hitting the gym or before a night out). Besides that, it can maintain a blowout for a few more days after you leave the salon and preserve your coloured hair for longer.
We rounded up our top 5 picks.
1. Batiste Original Dry Shampoo, HK$39.50/150ml. This has a lemony scent. A great bargain for girls on a budget. Available at Bonjour stores.
2. Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk, HK$155/150ml. Suitable for dry hair or sensitive skin as oat milk protects, softens hair and soothes your scalp. Available at Sasa stores.
3. Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo, HK$480/5.3oz. A light-weight formula that creates soft texture and has a nice clean talcum smell. The good thing about Amika Dry Shampoo is that is uses natural rice starch unlike aluminum shavings used by other dry shampoos. Available at Lab Concept, Queensway Plaza, 93 Queensway, Hong Kong.
4. Skinny Skinny Grapefruit & Cardamom Organic Dry Shampoo, HK$280/128 grams. Certified 100% vegan. An organic mix with ingredients like cornstarch, brown rice powder, white clay and essential oils. Available at Joyce Beauty Store, 108 Hysan Place, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong.
5. Philip B Russian Amber Imperial Dry Shampoo, HK$250/85 grams. A paraben-free dry shampoo that neutralizes product build-up. Gives you bouncy, gleaming hair that smells of oriental perfume. Available at Joyce Beauty Store, 152 Pacific Place, Admiralty, Hong Kong.